Sunny Slope Farm | Perry Wilson and Elizabeth Ann Taylor Barton | Alexander Madison & Louisa Hightower

Alexander Madison & Louisa Hightower
Alex and Wilson Perry Barton bought land together in 1855 at Cedar Mill on the South Gabriel where Alex and Louisa lived, farmed and ran a combined sawmill, grist mill, and flour mill.
In the early 1870's , Alex and Louisa moved north of Bertram to the Middle Gabriel and what later became known as Sandy Grove Community. In 1877, Alex donated six acres, which became the site of a schoolhouse, church and cemetery. The settlement boasted a cotton gin and corn mill, a general store and blacksmith shop, a doctor and a Masonic Lodge. In 1922, the Prebyterian, Methodist and Baptist congregations built a Union Arbor for camp meetings and revivals.
Alex was active in politics in Burnet County and was considered a mechanical genius developing a perpetual motion idea which led to the Bell Crank patient. Decendants report that Phil Davis, brother-in-law of Alex's son, Thomas David, stole his idea and became wealthy with the Davis Balance Wheel Patent.
Alex was the only brother that lived out his life in Burnet County . He died April 4, 1904. Louisa preceded him in heath on July 6, 1898. They are buried at Shady Grove Cemetery.
Out of the 13 children, Evalyn Grace Barton Scott's grandfather, Wilson Perry was born to Alex and Louisa.
View Slideshow




Not yet rated

No Comments

Only registered users may post comments.

Subscribe to comments RSS Feed
RSS RSS Feed | Archive View | Powered by zenPHOTO